Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mickey Arthur press conference update

At a press conference in East London, Mickey Arthur confirmed that his resignation was offered due to differences with the cricket board. He said "my vision for the national team differed with that of Cricket South Africa's. I am disappointed, because when I started there I said I wanted to get South Africa to No. 1 in both forms of the game, I wanted to be the first South African coach to win in England, and the first to win in Australia. The only thing I didn't achieve was an ICC trophy."

It was earlier reported in the media that he could have resigned due to differences with team captain Greame Smith and other senior players. Other reports had suggested that board was not very happy with the performance of South African cricket team lately and that had led to differences between the cricket board and the coach.  Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola however mentioned Arthur's tennure as successful but stated that the entire structure of Cricket South Africa would be changed next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment